I love initiatives that require activity and allows for the group to have some fun while solving the group problem. I first learned this fun activity from my favorite trainer Nate Folan at Project Adventure.
Number of Participants: 5-20
Time: 15-30 minutes
Activity Level: Moderate
Props: Rope Barrier, Hula Hoop, Spot Markers
Objective: To get the entire team from their spot around the circle and through the hula hoop as fast as possible.
Set Up: Place the spot markers around the circle and on a spot around the circle.
- The hula-hoop must start in the middle of the circle every time.
- Participants cannot leave their starting position until time is started.
- Time is stopped when the last person gets back in their position and yells stop.
This initiative challenges the group to communicate and will set a team goal in between rounds.
- Add two hula-hoops for large groups.
- If activity is your primary objective, make the circle very large.
- Leave the instructions vague about passing through the hula-hoop, but do make sure that the participants entire body passes through the hula-hoop.
- Ensure safety during the activity as some groups will try to jump through the hoop to save time.
- Make sure that the time does not stop until the last person yells stop. This is a very important step.